husband's 1st attempt
One sunny afternoon i was browsing the internet and accidentally saw somewhere a custard cake or leche flan chiffon cake. It brought back childhood memories specially during my elementary days buying it in our school canteen or in a local bakery. I thought of baking it my own since bakery in our place is like 5mins. drive and i don't think i'll find custard cake in a swiss bakery nearby.
I didn't want to bake it alone coz it might not be succesful, so i asked my husband to do it for me coz i know he will make it perfect and it was a succes! He made a very delicious custard cake i've ever tasted.
husband's 2nd attempt
I gathered recipes online combined with my own recipe and husband simply did some tricks and surprisingly very yummy the first try and even yummier the second try.
Here's our easy steps and the ingredients:
- First preheat the oven to 180°C
and make the caramel.
300g Sugar (doesn't matter what color but we used white sugar)
Simply mix it together in a pan until the sugar is caramelized,put it on your baking pan and set aside.
- Custard ingredients
250ml sweetened condensed milk
60g white sugar
250ml fresh milk
1 tsp. of lemon zest
1 tsp.Vanilla (we used fresh vanilla separeted from the stem but powder or liquid vanilla will do)
Mix all the ingredients for the custard in a bowl and using a strainer put the mixture on the baking pan with caramel.
- Cake ingredients
2X 60g white sugar (separately)
60ml fresh milk
3 eggs (3 egg whites and 3 yolks separately)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1) Mix the sugar (60g) and egg yolks in a bowl mix or beat until smooth, sift the flour and baking powder then put it alternately with milk, mixing after each addition, just mix until the batter is smooth.
2) In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the second 60g of sugar slowly while beating continously until the egg white gets stiff.
3) Mix the egg white mixture and egg yolks mixture together to create the cake batter ( mix together by folding technique until there's no white anymore, the reason why we have to beat the egg white first, is to create tiny air bubbles that will create the volume texture of the cake.
4) Put the cake batter over the custard and spread it slowly on your baking pan, the cake batter should float so pls.don't overworked the mixture.
5) Place the cake pan in a larger pan half-filled with water. Bake in your preheated oven for 50mins to 1hr. to know if the cake is good, just do the toothpick technique by simply inserting it at the center, if it comes clean,the cake is finished. If not, bake a little longer,testing it time to time.
Important: Make sure all the sides are covered with the cake batter so that the custard will not boil over it while baking.
Refrigerate the cake overnight to get the even and perfect texture of the custard. The next day scrape the sides of the cake and simply flip it on a tray and voila you have your delicious custard cake.
Perfect partner for coffee or tea.
Post a Comment